Natural changes to your body can leave you with a loose and poorly defined abdominal contour. While diet and exercise can help you shed pounds, laxity of the skin and connective tissue between the muscles cannot always be addressed with a healthy lifestyle. These changes that exist within the tissues can be reversed through surgery. A tummy tuck targets the common abdominal sagging that both men and women often struggle with, and this procedure helps to restore a firm and toned silhouette.Schedule a Consultation
When to Consider a Tummy Tuck
The changes your body undergoes while you are pregnant can permanently impact the tone and quality of your abdominal area. You may develop looseness of the muscles, excess skin, and stretch marks. These changes prevent many women from feeling confident in their bodies following childbirth. A tummy tuck will help restore the shape of your body as well as your self-image.
Following Weight Loss
While losing weight is a great accomplishment, the side effects can consist of hanging, drooping skin around the abdomen and hips. These folds of tissue can obscure your new, hard-won definition. Folds of skin can add excess weight to your frame and prevent your clothing from fitting correctly. With a tummy tuck, you can reclaim your physique and have the look you’ve been trying to achieve.
An unfortunate aspect of getting older is that our skin loses the tone and firmness of our youth. Even if you are fit, you may have noticed that your stomach skin has developed laxity that you cannot treat through diet and exercise alone. A tummy tuck can restore a more youthful and fit contour to your abdominal area.
Tailored Tummy Tuck Procedures
Mini Tummy Tuck
- The mini tummy tuck helps those who require minimal skin removal but need their abdominal muscles tightened.
- It addresses laxity in the lower portion of the abdomen, just above the pubic area.
- A short incision is placed just above in the pubic area, through which we can tighten lax muscles and skin.
- Liposuction may be used to further shape the abdominal area.
Modified Tummy Tuck
- A modified tummy tuck uses an incision similar to the mini tummy tuck: low in the abdominal area. However, this technique allows us to address issues both below and above the umbilicus.
- The muscles are tightened, and excess skin may be removed.
- Liposuction to the upper abdomen can improve your overall definition.
Full Tummy Tuck
- A full (standard) tummy tuck benefits patients who require a moderate correction of both muscle and skin laxity.
- A slightly longer incision is placed in the pubic region, and a secondary incision is placed around the navel.
- Moderate portions of excess skin may be removed, and the remaining tissue will be draped to highlight the new contour of the abdomen. We may revise the area around the navel, if necessary, to provide a natural, more youthful appearance.
- Liposuction is used, as needed, to refine the results of your tummy tuck.
Extended Tummy Tuck
- The extended tummy tuck is reserved for patients who have undergone massive weight loss and have excess folds of skin across the stomach, hips, thighs, and lower back.
- A long incision is placed above the pubic area that extends to the lower back.
- While the primary goal of this technique is skin removal and liposuction of the thigh region, we may also provide some abdominal wall tightening.
- Liposuction can treat stubborn fat deposits to allow us to perfect your new abdominal appearance more easily.
Tummy tuck surgery is performed with the patient under general anesthesia. Following your surgery, a pain pump may be provided to decrease postoperative discomfort. Drains are placed, when indicated, to prevent the accumulation of fluid and excess swelling. A binder is initially worn following your recovery.
Most people require 10 days of downtime following tummy tuck surgery. You should be able to return to most activities except strenuous exercise within two weeks. Your binders will be switched to SPANX® after the first week, which should be worn for another four weeks. All sutures are self-dissolving, and the majority of improvement will be noted in a few weeks. Your final results should be visible after six months.
Incisions are placed low in the pubic area so that they can easily be covered with clothing, swimwear, and underwear. While you may develop a scar initially, most patients feel that this doesn’t impact the overall quality of their results. With proper care, scars fade over time.
The cost of tummy tuck surgery varies depending on the technique chosen and the amount of correction required. Factors like anesthesia and facility fees will also impact your final price. Dr. Rosen will provide a detailed quote during your consultation.
Frequently Asked QuestionsSchedule a Consultation
How soon after pregnancy or weight loss can I undergo a tummy tuck?
It is important that you lose as much weight as possible naturally before considering surgery. You should be finished having children and be within 50 pounds of your goal weight. We also recommend that you maintain a stable weight for at least six months, as significant weight loss or gain following surgery can affect your results
Can I combine a tummy tuck with other procedures?
Yes! A tummy tuck is a popular technique in a Mommy Makeover. You can combine this procedure with a breast lift, liposuction, or Brazilian Butt Lift to rejuvenate your overall appearance.
Will my tummy tuck results be permanent?
Most people are completely satisfied with the results of their surgery for years. However, it is up to you to maintain a stable weight to prolong the effects of your surgery. A healthy lifestyle with minimal weight fluctuations helps to ensure long-lasting results.